Final Float-In For Memorial Bridge Scheduled for This Morning
The barge Cape Cod was scheduled to move the center and final span of the bridge from the New Hampshire State Pier to the bridge around 1 a.m. this morning.
Carol Morris, spokesman with Archer Western, the main contractors on the project, said it will take up to 12 hours to get the span in place and secured.
A five-day river closure was to take effect at 1 a.m. and continue through 1 a.m. on June 22. The river closure was coordinated with the United States Coast Guard.
The move of the center span is being coordinated with the Portsmouth Harbor Pilots and is highly dependent on the tides in the fast-flowing river.
Morris said the goal is to move the span down to the bridge just as the outgoing tide is reaching slack.
Bridge watchers had already gathered at the north pier at Prescott Park by 10 p.m. in anticipation of the historic event.
Onlookers can expect to see the span raise and lower more than once during the next five days as testing of the lift mechanism continues.
The bridge is expected to open to traffic sometime in July.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 3
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 2
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 2
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof