Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
State pays victims of inmate freed by mistake
James Rand, 46, was released on parole to the streets of Concord in March 2012, instead of to the custody of the Merrimack County sheriff to be sentenced on five outstanding convictions for receiving stolen property.
Rand's rampage caused a public furor, prompting then-Gov. John Lynch to ask the attorney general to investigate.
Julia Jones of Concord, who was working at Cumberland Farms in Concord when Rand robbed her at knifepoint, settled for $15,000, and Jennifer Towne of Manchester, who was mugged coming out of Concord's Walmart, settled for $45,000, both of which included attorney fees, according to their lawyer Charles G. Douglas. Douglas and attorney Jason Major represented the women.
Senior Assistant Attorney General Mary Ann Dempsey, chief of the Civil Bureau, said the state weighed a number of factors before agreeing to settle the suit against the Department of Corrections.
The state, like any party being sued, factors in what it would cost to litigate and hire expert witnesses in deciding whether to settle out of court, she said.
"The settlement means that there was no finding of liability, that the parties agreed to resolve the matter," Dempsey said, "It was a good resolution for both sides."
"It was compensatory damage for emotional upset and the physical assault that each of them went through," Douglas said.
"We argued that this was gross negligence and, therefore, it was inevitable that a lifetime convict was going to commit another crime if released without proper supervision and paroled," Douglas said. "He wasn't supposed to be out at all."
Douglas said three other people contacted his office identifying cases in which convicts had been mistakenly released, but they occurred too long ago to include in the suits.
The procedure in place now will make sure the error isn't repeated, Sytek said. "As long as it is observed," she added.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 0
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
- Two Keene men charged with burglary and assault - 0
- Shooting victim's spouse's car being searched - 0
- Altercation leads to suspect fleeing, threatening police - 0
- Crash ends high-speed chase in Lyndeborough - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Schedule for today's Queen City Invitational Basketball, Bauer Christmas Hockey tournaments - 0
- Nashua bomb squad deployed, people evacuated after fireworks explosion - 0
- Driver trapped by live wires after early morning crash in Bow - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Central rally stuns Memorial - 1
- NHIAA Hockey: Memorial needs shootout to get by Bow - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 0
- No shortage of post-holiday shoppers at local stores - 0
- West junior advising College Board on its entrance exams - 0
- Sullivan in the top running for state's Assistant Principal of the Year - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Murder suspect fit for trial?
Pipeline push gets a second wind
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483