Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dad-to-be Gonzalez, Orioles top Red Sox
Sunday afternoon, however, the Boston Red Sox were the business at hand and the right-hander got the job done.
"Not a whole lot phases him," Showalter said. "He's a quite competitive guy."
Adam Jones added two doubles, and Manny Machado had a double and a single as the Orioles pounded out 14 hits off four Boston pitchers.
"This is going to be a very highly competitive division throughout the course of the summer," Boston manager John Farrell said. "(The Orioles have) got good players. It's a very well put together team and they have good players. I think we do too."
Boston's Jon Lester (6-4), who began the day with a 14-1 career mark against Baltimore — including 7-0 in 10 starts at Camden Yards — was roughed up for five runs and nine hits in five innings.
Lester, 0-4 with two no-decisions since winning May 15, had eight strikeouts and no walks.
Markakis singled and — rather than going halfway when Machado hit a deep fly to left — waited to tag up and went to second. After J.J. Hardy flied out, Jones doubled, scoring Markakis.
Lester then fell behind 3-1 to Davis, and Davis, who was 0-for-14 against the Boston left-hander in his career, hit the next pitch over the wall in right center.
In the fifth, Markakis doubled and scored on a single by Machado, who ended up on third after an error on the play. Machado later scored on a two-out double by Davis to make it 5-0.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Farnum Center: Blight to bright - 1
- Scene in Manchester: Dressing for success (and to help save lives) - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Something to cheer about - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Mom's outlook puts everything in perspective - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Tech lovers can't give these glasses a pass - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Stache Dash to raise cash - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Boutiques transform a city block - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Wear pink and prepare to be pampered at the Enchanting Beauty Women's Expo - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Fall brings brisk lineup of great fundraising events - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 2
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 2
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize