Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
In court on Monday, Melissa Gutierrez, 28, apologized for her negligence, saying she hopes to turn her life around so that her baby’s death wasn’t in vain.
In a negotiated plea, Gutierrez pleaded guilty to one count of negligent homicide, while additional charges of manslaughter, two counts of reckless conduct and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child were not prosecuted for the drowning incident Aug. 25, 2011, at 46 Wilson Hill Road in Merrimack.
The youngest boy, Christian N’Tapalis, drowned as a result of her negligence, police said.
“I am sorry. I would tell him that I am sorry and that it wasn’t supposed to be that way,” said Gutierrez, apologizing repeatedly for the drowning. “I love him. I love him.”
Previously, a medical expert testified in court that Gutierrez has led a life surrounded with death and drug addiction, noting she previously had an addiction to crack cocaine, prostituted herself and was the victim of a gang rape.
A doctor hired by the defense also previously testified that Gutierrez was suffering from acute stress disorder the moment she found her baby unconscious and, with assistance from a neighbor, attempted to resuscitate the child.The baby’s father, Peter J. N’Tapalis, was not forthcoming with police, according to David Tenzca of the Hillsborough County Attorney’s Office.“It is tragic,” Tenzca said of the baby’s death. However, Tenzca said the incident “was only a matter of time, unfortunately,” elaborating on a previous arrest when Gutierrez allegedly left her older son unattended in parked vehicle for an extended period of time in the summer months with just one window cracked open.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- Anderson lewdness trial is delayed - 5
- Police: Christmas cards stolen from mailboxes - 0
- Police probe Sanborn high school bomb threat - 0
- Raymond man faces trial in second child sex assault case - 0
- Manchester man charged with robbing store 3 times - 1
- Enfield man killed in hit-and-run in Vermont - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 1
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 2
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 3
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House partiesREADER COMMENTS: 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424