Deroy Murdock: Corruption aside, the IRS has too much Obamacare authority
Sarah Hall Ingram was commissioner of the IRS's Tax Exempt & Government Entities Division as it began discriminating against and persecuting Tea Party groups and other conservative institutions. As an IRS organizational chart confirms, Ingram was the direct boss of Lois "Fifth Amendment" Lerner, whose administrative leave now allows her to sleep in, relax at home, and collect her annual taxpayer-financed paycheck of $177,000. She still makes $3,000 above what senators earn and more than quadruple the average U.S. wage of $42,980 — all for doing nothing.
• "The IRS is responsible for reviewing, at least once every three years, the community benefit activities of each hospital affected by" Section 9007, observes The Weekly Standard's Jeffrey H. Anderson. "So the judge of whether hospitals are meeting community needs will be the IRS. What could possibly go wrong? (On the heels of [Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen] Sebelius's earlier decrees, one wonders how the IRS will treat Catholic hospitals.)"
Dishing out Obamacare's subsidies and penalties "will require significant resources, particularly customer service resources as taxpayers turn to the IRS with questions and issues about the ACA and their tax and health insurance requirements," IRS Inspector General J. Russell George pleaded with a House Appropriations subcommittee last March 5. "Customer service has been declining in recent years, with fewer taxpayers being served at the local offices and the IRS answering fewer telephone calls. The ACA will further stretch these already limited resources."
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Jump seen in number of free, reduced-price meals at NH schools - 0
- Policy change on school milk may cut food waste - 0
- Youngsters show how they would battle 'Nature's Fury' - 0
- Exploring the dark side of social media - 0
- Winnisquam teachers OK three-year contract - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Input sought on Keene board of ed candidates - 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 2
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 1
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize