Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children
ROCHESTER – As part of an ongoing initiative to reduce truancy in public schools, including a student who missed more than 250 days, six local parents must appear in court next month.
Police issued summons for the following residents: Dana Huntress, 42, of 20 Columbus Ave., No. 201, for four counts of compulsory attendance, and Michelle Palmquist, 41, of 91 England Road, for two counts of compulsory attendance. Also receiving summons were Christine Georgiou, 33, of 11 Lighthouse Lane, Leslie Leary, 44, of 11 Olde Farm Lane, No. 4, Carol Ludlow, 48, of 11 Yale St., Apt. A, and John Moffett, 45, of 35 Pine St., Apt. 1, for one count of compulsory attendance.
The parents are scheduled to appear for an arraignment in 7th Circuit Court, Rochester District Division, July 15 at 8 a.m.
Police plan to issue summons to two other parents once they are located.
Parents could be required to pay up to a $1,000 fine or choose to take part in a diversion program that requires they attend four hour-long classes with their child.
Police and school officials decided to implement the program as unexcused absences are on the rise for students in kindergarten through grade 12 in the city.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you