Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children
ROCHESTER – As part of an ongoing initiative to reduce truancy in public schools, including a student who missed more than 250 days, six local parents must appear in court next month.
Police issued summons for the following residents: Dana Huntress, 42, of 20 Columbus Ave., No. 201, for four counts of compulsory attendance, and Michelle Palmquist, 41, of 91 England Road, for two counts of compulsory attendance. Also receiving summons were Christine Georgiou, 33, of 11 Lighthouse Lane, Leslie Leary, 44, of 11 Olde Farm Lane, No. 4, Carol Ludlow, 48, of 11 Yale St., Apt. A, and John Moffett, 45, of 35 Pine St., Apt. 1, for one count of compulsory attendance.
The parents are scheduled to appear for an arraignment in 7th Circuit Court, Rochester District Division, July 15 at 8 a.m.
Police plan to issue summons to two other parents once they are located.
Parents could be required to pay up to a $1,000 fine or choose to take part in a diversion program that requires they attend four hour-long classes with their child.
Police and school officials decided to implement the program as unexcused absences are on the rise for students in kindergarten through grade 12 in the city.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two leaders for Senate; Foley in 19, Kenda in 24 - 2
- James Foley; Truth teller - 1
- Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies - 7
- Editorial: Jim Adams The GOP choice in Council Dist. 4 - 0
- NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass. - 13
- Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage? - 7
- Free state garden: Weeding is always good - 30
- August recess: Whither our NH representatives? - 1
- Portsmouth saga: Was this 'Officer Too-Friendly?' - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- AG asked to investigate Hemingway campaign donations after complaint filed by Grantham attorney with Sununu ties - 1
- Former Derry town administrator guilty of indecent exposure - 1
- Meredith man faces arson charge in Landmark Inn fire in Laconia - 0
- Three teens sent to area hospitals after crash on Blackwater Road at Rochester-Dover border - 0
- Good Samaritans track down man accused of stealing purse - 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS leads police to truck; vehicle breaks lead to arrest - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen