Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Bailey blows another save as Red Sox lose
Boston closer Andrew Bailey, who blew his fourth save in 12 chances, threw three straight balls to Victor Martinez and walked him on a 3-1 pitch before dealing with Peralta.
Bailey (3-1) has now allowed runs in four of his last five outings.
His first strike of the inning was gunned into right field by Ortiz for an RBI single. Smyly came in at that point and worked out of the jam, then pitched a scoreless ninth to give his team a chance to win.Lackey faltered only in the fifth when he allowed the first two Detroit runs. He allowed seven hits but no more than one in any inning aside from the fifth. Lackey walked one and struck out five in seven innings.Koji Uehara retired the side in order in the eighth, getting the third out on a booming Prince Fielder fly to the scoreboard in right center that was caught by center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury.
Boston made it 2-0 in the top of the fifth when Jose Iglesias lined a triple to the gap in right center to open the inning and Jacoby Ellsbury singled him home.
NOTES: Detroit LF Matt Tuiasosopo was scratched due to a mild right intercostal strain. Manager Jim Leyland replaced him with left-handed-hitting Andy Dirks, who had been struggling. ... The Red Sox will recall RHP Allen Webster from Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday night to start against Detroit. “He’s been throwing the ball well,” Boston manager John Farrell said, “and with much better command, especially with his fastball. I’m looking forward to seeing him here Saturday.” Webster started two games for Boston earlier this season, going 0-1 with an 11.74 ERA. ... The Tigers have a new closer, RHP Joaquin Benoit taking over for Jose Valverde “if he’s available and hasn’t pitched too much. I’m not naming anyone the (full-time) closer because I’m not sure who would be available,” Leyland said. ... Red Sox RHP Clay Buchholz threw off flat ground Thursday and was scheduled to throw a bullpen session Saturday, with an eye toward making a return to the rotation on Tuesday. Buchholz is currently on the disabled list with a neck strain. ... Boston OF Mike Carp, out since leaving Sunday’s game at Baltimore with right hamstring tightness, should be ready to go this weekend. Farrell indicated that Carp was available Thursday night, but the Tigers started LHP Jose Alvarez. Carp is batting .362 with 17 RBIs in his last 19 games.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
- Soderberg, Smith lead Bruins to victory - 0
- Strong third period helps Senators end Bruins hex - 0
- Former Monarchs lift Kings over Islanders - 0
- Lucic goal lifts Bruins to overtime victory - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice