Four injured on Winnipesaukee, powerboat pilot charged with OUI after collision
Fire-rescue crews and state Marine Patrol officers responded at 10:25 p.m. to a report of a boat collision near the Governor's Island Bridge, said Fire Department Capt. Michael Balcom. They found the damaged boats and five people, he said.
Marine Patrol Officers Michael Wetherbee and Nicholas Haroutunian administered first aid until Gilford and Laconia fire boats arrived, according to the Marine Patrol.
After initial care on shore, four of the boaters were taken to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment of injuries ranging from a fractured arm to possible internal injuries. Laconia and Belmont ambulances staged on Summit Avenue at the Governor's Island Bridge.
All had non-life-threatening injuries, Balcom said.
The fifth, Barry K. Myers, 50, of Dracut, Mass, the operator of a 1989 21-foot Chaparral powerboat, refused treatment and was later arrested and charged with boating while intoxicated.
One boat, a 2003 26-foot Formula powerboat, was operated by Brenda Stowe, 50, of Gilford. Steven Bauer, 52, of Gilford, was a passenger in that boat.
The passengers in Myers' boat were Chris Dortona, 49, of Revere, Mass., and Lawrence Edwards, 49 of Georgetown, Mass.
None of the boaters involved could be reached for comment.
Both boats sustained extensive damage.
The Marine Patrol's technical boating accident reconstruction team is continuing the investigation.
No immediate cause for the crash was known, Balcom said.
With summer boating season here, the fire department is asking boaters to remember to have the appropriate types and number of life jackets for each occupant of a boat. They also asked boaters to use caution when boating at night or in poor weather.
Information about boater safety courses being offered can be found by contacting the Marine Patrol.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNO Pizzeria in Hudson plans cancer fundraiser - 0
- Farmington firefighters to don pink for fundraiser - 0
- 5K honors city teen who died from cancer - 0
- Great North Woods, White Mountains foliage expected to hit peak next week - 0
- Salem Rams hope to memorialize volunteer with scoreboard naming - 0
- Salem looks ahead to property updates - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Molly Stark DAR hosts Constitution meeting - 0
- Keene festival's pumpkin giveaway requires online registration this year - 0
- Currier Museum showcases impossible possibilities by M.C. Escher, who inspired generations of pop culture - 0
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
5K honors city teen who died from cancer
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too