Four injured on Winnipesaukee, powerboat pilot charged with OUI after collision
Fire-rescue crews and state Marine Patrol officers responded at 10:25 p.m. to a report of a boat collision near the Governor's Island Bridge, said Fire Department Capt. Michael Balcom. They found the damaged boats and five people, he said.
Marine Patrol Officers Michael Wetherbee and Nicholas Haroutunian administered first aid until Gilford and Laconia fire boats arrived, according to the Marine Patrol.
After initial care on shore, four of the boaters were taken to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment of injuries ranging from a fractured arm to possible internal injuries. Laconia and Belmont ambulances staged on Summit Avenue at the Governor's Island Bridge.
All had non-life-threatening injuries, Balcom said.
The fifth, Barry K. Myers, 50, of Dracut, Mass, the operator of a 1989 21-foot Chaparral powerboat, refused treatment and was later arrested and charged with boating while intoxicated.
One boat, a 2003 26-foot Formula powerboat, was operated by Brenda Stowe, 50, of Gilford. Steven Bauer, 52, of Gilford, was a passenger in that boat.
The passengers in Myers' boat were Chris Dortona, 49, of Revere, Mass., and Lawrence Edwards, 49 of Georgetown, Mass.
None of the boaters involved could be reached for comment.
Both boats sustained extensive damage.
The Marine Patrol's technical boating accident reconstruction team is continuing the investigation.
No immediate cause for the crash was known, Balcom said.
With summer boating season here, the fire department is asking boaters to remember to have the appropriate types and number of life jackets for each occupant of a boat. They also asked boaters to use caution when boating at night or in poor weather.
Information about boater safety courses being offered can be found by contacting the Marine Patrol.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Taylor Momsen on going from 'Grinch', 'Gossip Girl' to provocative, powerhouse rocker - 0
- Jim Beauregard's Tasting Notes: Wine Week - a few more Spectacular samples - 0
- Guitar Maestro Uli John Roth performs in Londonderry in advance of March Release of 'Scorpions Revisited' a Double-Disc Collection of Re-Imagined Scorpions Classics - 0
- Councilor refuses to let blindness thwart his commitment to Bedford - 0
- Announcing the 2015 Country Megaticket at the XFinity Center - 0
- Tri-state Reciprocal Snowmobile Weekend - 0
- Loon Mountain Resort Hosts Groundbreaking Ski & Snowboard Camp Partnerships - 0
- Londonderry blood drive scheduled for Friday - 0
- More information coming on Plaistow commuter rail station Wednesday - 0
Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk
Granite State volunteers honor MLK's legacy
Enter to win tickets to see Nickelback
Entitlement fights: Losing the big picture
For many, snow day means no-pay day
Fleeing France: Tax cuts follow Socialism
NH wants cost cap on transmission project