Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Tigers blast Webster, Sox
Scherzer (11-0) won his fourth consecutive start and took over the major-league lead in victories, overcoming a shaky first to hold the Red Sox to two runs on six hits in seven innings. He struck out six and became the first pitcher to fan at least six batters in 15 straight starts since Boston's Pedro Martinez in 2000.
Omar Infante added a two-run homer and Austin Jackson, Torii Hunter and Andy Dirks collected three hits apiece as the Tigers rebounded from Friday's 10-6 defeat to improve to 6-1 against Boston in the last seven games at Comerica Park.
David Ortiz hit a solo homer - his 16th - in the first inning to stake the Red Sox to a 2-0 lead, but Detroit answered in the bottom of the frame against rookie Allen Webster (0-2), putting the first three runners aboard before Martinez cleared the bases one out later for his third career grand slam.
Scherzer kept Boston scoreless over the next six frames to join George Mullin (1909) as the only Detroit pitchers to start 11-0. Webster, called up from Triple-A Pawtucket earlier in the day to make his third career start, was roughed up for five runs on eight hits in 4 [1/3] innings.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Scherzer, who entered 1-3 lifetime against Boston, improved to 17-1 in his last 26 regular-season starts dating to last year. ... Ortiz's first-inning blast was his 18th at Comerica Park - the most by any Detroit opponent. ... Red Sox rookie 3B Jose Iglesias had a pair of hits to hike his batting average to .438 and extend his streak of reaching base to 25 straight games.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released