Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Blackhawks beat Bruins, take 3-2 lead in Stanley Cup final
The best-of-seven series now shifts to Boston for Game Six on Monday with the Blackhawks holding a 3-2 lead and the Bruins needing a victory to extend the series.
Kane scored the only goal in each of the first two periods to put Chicago ahead 2-0 before the Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara pulled one back early in the third.
Chicago's Dave Bolland, however, ended the threat of overtime as the Bruins desperately pressed for an equalizer and he scored into an empty net with 14 seconds to play.
Blackhawks netminder Corey Crawford, who had been criticised for his shaky play in Game Four, was razor-sharp making 24 saves.
After a rollicking 6-5 shootout in Game Four, the teams returned to the close-checking, punishing style seen earlier in the series and both team's paid a high price, losing key players to bone-jarring hits.
Boston's Patrice Bergeron, their leading scorer with four goals, exited in the second period and was later taken to hospital with an unspecified injury.
Chicago captain Jonathan Toews, who assisted on the Blackhawks' first two goals, also did not play in the third period after taking a thundering hit from the Bruins' Johnny Boychuk as he cut across the Boston goalmouth.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dodgers shut out Cardinals in NLCS Game 3 - 0
- Manchester Memorial grad Chris Lambert enters Boston College Hall of Fame - 1
- Finally, Tampa Bay's Sam Fuld gets to meet new son - 0
- Rays blank Indians in wild card game, headed to Boston for ALDS - 0
- Conway’s Locke left off Pirates’ playoff roster - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Playoff roster is Farrell's job - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings