Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Blackhawks beat Bruins, take 3-2 lead in Stanley Cup final
The best-of-seven series now shifts to Boston for Game Six on Monday with the Blackhawks holding a 3-2 lead and the Bruins needing a victory to extend the series.
Kane scored the only goal in each of the first two periods to put Chicago ahead 2-0 before the Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara pulled one back early in the third.
Chicago's Dave Bolland, however, ended the threat of overtime as the Bruins desperately pressed for an equalizer and he scored into an empty net with 14 seconds to play.
Blackhawks netminder Corey Crawford, who had been criticised for his shaky play in Game Four, was razor-sharp making 24 saves.
After a rollicking 6-5 shootout in Game Four, the teams returned to the close-checking, punishing style seen earlier in the series and both team's paid a high price, losing key players to bone-jarring hits.
Boston's Patrice Bergeron, their leading scorer with four goals, exited in the second period and was later taken to hospital with an unspecified injury.
Chicago captain Jonathan Toews, who assisted on the Blackhawks' first two goals, also did not play in the third period after taking a thundering hit from the Bruins' Johnny Boychuk as he cut across the Boston goalmouth.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
- Soderberg, Smith lead Bruins to victory - 0
- Strong third period helps Senators end Bruins hex - 0
- Former Monarchs lift Kings over Islanders - 0
- Lucic goal lifts Bruins to overtime victory - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released