Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Mite not be best idea to live on light, cheese
Our back page last week carried the odd story of a Seattle woman who has given up trying to live on light and a bit of tea "with a splash of milk."
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "light lunch," doesn't it? I must have been out golfing when this new trend began. It is called "breatharianism" and it is a belief that sunshine can substitute for food. Coincidentally, the woman's last name is Shine.
But wait, there's more.
Little Ms. Shine, age 65, has given up on her project in part because she has run out of money.
She might try living on cheese. I hear some varieties have plenty of protein.
U.S. cheese lovers are upset with the government banning certain French cheeses because, the feds say, the cheese has too many mites.
That's mites, as in little bugs crawling around in the rounds. But the cheese sellers say the mites are a necessary part of the cheese.
Ms. Shine said it wasn't just a lack of money that made her turn off her light diet. She also cited public reaction.
I'm not afraid to ask questions. Here is one: Now that medicinal marijuana is coming to New Hampshire, can joint sessions of the Legislature be far behind?
One more: Will Cap'n Crunch be promoted? Turns out the little guy on the cereal box has been wearing a uniform with not enough stripes to qualify for captaincy. The country is going to heck, I fear.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 4
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 68
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'