Home » News » Public Safety
NH Ham radio operators participate in Field Day
But an hour or so into the drill, power strips starting smoking and the generator went down. And that cut into the second part of Field Day, the competitive part that all hams really enjoy. Groups have 24 hours to see how many official contacts they can make with other operators throughout the country. Last Field Day, the Granite State hams logged about 500 successful connections.
"I don't talk very much, I like to listen," said Merrill. "It's about all the contacts you make and the people you meet."
Hams bring a wide range of experience and knowledge to the hobby. Some have years of professional experience as electrical engineers and others came from completely unrelated backgrounds in sales or management.
A lot of operators really enjoy seeing how far the simplest radios will take them as the travel the air waves.
And hams hope that might bring new people with new ideas into the hobby.
"We always welcome new members," said French. "We're the original social network."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return