Home » News » Public Safety
NH Ham radio operators participate in Field Day
But an hour or so into the drill, power strips starting smoking and the generator went down. And that cut into the second part of Field Day, the competitive part that all hams really enjoy. Groups have 24 hours to see how many official contacts they can make with other operators throughout the country. Last Field Day, the Granite State hams logged about 500 successful connections.
"I don't talk very much, I like to listen," said Merrill. "It's about all the contacts you make and the people you meet."
Hams bring a wide range of experience and knowledge to the hobby. Some have years of professional experience as electrical engineers and others came from completely unrelated backgrounds in sales or management.
A lot of operators really enjoy seeing how far the simplest radios will take them as the travel the air waves.
And hams hope that might bring new people with new ideas into the hobby.
"We always welcome new members," said French. "We're the original social network."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 2
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too