NH camp directors take lightning 'very, very seriously'
"We called off a trip today because of (weather) concerns," camp director Danny Kerr said Tuesday.Thunderstorms are a possibility every day through July 3 for parts of New Hampshire, according to AccuWeather.com.
The Lakes Region camp has a wooden structure at the waterfront to shelter the kids, Planchet said.
"When it comes to thunderstorms ... I don't want to see anyone outside," Planchet said. "You can have even a small thunderstorm and you can still get a bolt of lightning come out of nowhere. We're very cautious."Kerr doesn't expect Monday night's lightning strike at the Boy Scout camp in Gilmanton to trigger any changes at the camp in the White Mountains. On the day that campers arrive, they are told about the camp's warning system, which calls for campers to be sheltered during storms.
"We never have anyone outside if we think there's any chance of severe weather," he said. "We have people who monitor those things and we take it very, very seriously."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Reports: No major damage caused by latest mixed precipitation storm - 0
- Storm blasts state with messy mix - 0
- Rainy forecast forces Portsmouth to cancel Christmas parade; tree lighting still on - 0
- NHDOT: Snow, sleet causing no traffic problems on state's highways - 0
- Utilities tallying up the damage - 3
- Elliot Hospital serves dinner to those affected by power outages - 0
- Power outages down to final few - 2
- Lights, heat making slow return - 7
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads