Proposed chicken barn ruffles feathers in Dunbarton
Giovagnoli’s property is zoned low-density residential, which under town ordinance permits agricultural use if his barn is built at least 100 feet from the property line. Giovagnoli said the nearest house is about one-quarter mile away, nearly 1,300 feet, from the proposed barn. Though Giovagnoli understands his neighbors’ concerns, he said there are misconceptions about the plan and invites them to meet with him and see the plan and conservation reports for themselves.
Giovagnoli said he bought the property from the Godbout family, who ran a free-range turkey farm there for about 50 years.
“His farm was once surrounded by vacant land, woods and an apple orchard. When the farm was operated as a turkey farm, the Giovagnoli land was not surrounded by single-family residences as it is today,” Rancourt said. “The proposed site will only be approximately 1,000 feet from his neighbor’s homes. One-thousand feet is a not a large distance when we are talking about an industrial-size building housing 20,000 chickens. It is our hope that the town of Dunbarton will take appropriate steps to protect the home values of Mr. Giovagnoli’s neighbors.”
But Rancourt disagrees.
Giovagnoli said his neighbors are also concerned about their wells, but added there is no need for alarm.
He said his well went dry last year and a company told him if there is a 75-foot distance from another well, it’s on a different vein.
“To the extent our wells go dry and we need to dig new wells and take other remedial actions to get water to our homes we will be financially harmed. Our home values will be further negatively impacted by the lack of ground water and the inability to draw sufficient water from our wells,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Derry residents debate dog leash law - 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
- Police say three Huskies missing in Merrimack were mistaken as wolves and shot, killed - 75
- Three missing Siberian Huskies found dead - 5
- 3 communities may share animal officer - 0
- Merrimack dog owner desperate to find three missing Huskies - 1
- Dock-diving dogs woof it up at Humane Society fundraiser - 0
- Walk for Whiskers to raise money to support shelter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
- Election Day hotline established to report suspected voter fraud, abuse - 1
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
- Two accused of trafficking women in Hampton, Hooksett and Manchester - 0
- 'Fugitive of Week' captured in Hooksett - 0
- Pedestrian struck in Keene - 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four
School's out for voters