Dale McFeatters: Looking for work? Why not run for U.S. Senate?
Congress has come to the rescue with a job program of sorts. We know. You thought Congress’ role in unemployment was to take credit for any improvement — or blame the other side for any slippage, even though the whole thing is largely out of lawmakers’ control.
Here’s the deal: The two major political parties — that would be the Republicans and the Democrats; one of the few qualifications is that you know that; the difference really doesn’t matter — are having difficulties recruiting people to run for the U.S. Senate.
So take a shower, put on your grown-up clothes and present yourself at party headquarters and announce that you’re running for office. Trust us, they won’t laugh. A lot of people even crazier and less qualified than you have run — and been elected.
Dale McFeatters is a columnist for Scripps Howard News Service.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: Stepping into a basket of snakes - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 4
- Deroy Murdock: Earth-friendly energy is anything but - 5
- George Will: Battle royal in Iowa - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Our real Syria strategy: containment-plus - 0
- Roger Simon: Do 'real men' hit women? - 3
- Another View -- Scott Brown: America's interests come before party or President - 28
- John Stossel: We have two anti-choice parties in America - 1
- Another View -- Andres Martinez: How our imperial tax code encourages inversions - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- UPDATED: Bail set at $20,000 for Holiday Inn Express robbery suspect - 1
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 13
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 17
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 4
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance