NH politicians, others react to same-sex marriage ruling
Demonstrators stand outside the U.S. Supreme Court on the day that the Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, Wednesday in Washington, D.C. (Pete Marovich/MCT)
A Supreme Court decision Wednesday changed that.
Gov. Maggie Hassan described the Supreme Court decisions as an "historic step forward" in a news release Wednesday.
Hassan was the majority leader in the New Hampshire Senate when lawmakers passed the same-sex marriage act in 2009, replacing earlier legislation that allowed couples to receive joint benefits through civil unions.
Ashley Pratte, executive director of the conservative group Cornerstone Action, called the rulings "disappointing," but said the Supreme Court's maneuver around Proposition 8 allows the issue to be decided on a state-by-state basis.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ryan Pitts: Reluctant hero - 0
- Relief and questions: Abby Hernandez returns home - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 56
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 3
- Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal - 33
- Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility - 8
- What Bartlett left: A Founding Father mostly forgotten - 1
- Hang Havenstein! He once quoted the President - 4
- Obama's priority: Raising money - 36
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
- Cheshire Historical Society receives nearly $1 million - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health
- Should mortar-style firework sales to the public be prohibited?
- Total Votes: 1507