Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua Red Sox fan stabbed by Yankees fan wins $4.3M judgement against chowder house
Monte Freire, 45, of Nashua, was stabbed in the neck on Oct. 2, 2010, at the U.S.S Chowder Pot III restaurant in Branford, Conn.
"The jury found that the restaurant itself, the proprietor of the restaurant, was responsible for his injuries in that its employee, a bartender, was negligent in choosing not to intervene in a verbal argument that was escalating," said Attorney Timothy Pothin, who represented Freire.
"He has scars inside and out. He has had a hard time," Pothin said of his client, who is still the head groundskeeper for the city's Parks and Recreation Department.
"The bartender was warned twice that night, and he chose not to intervene," said Pothin, of Stratton Faxon Trial Lawyers LLC. "We felt very strongly that this was a case of egregious negligence."
It took a New Haven Superior Court jury three hours on Thursday to deliberate the case after a two-week trial.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 8
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief