Home » News » Public Safety
Gorham firefighters called to paper mill fire twice Monday
There were no injuries and Gorham Paper and Tissue lost little production Monday after work was interrupted for a time during one of its two 12-hour daily shifts, according to Gorham Fire Chief Rick Eichler.
The chief said after firefighters cleared the scene at about 3:40 a.m., they were called out again when fire erupted in the connector building made of plywood and dimension lumber, rather than the brick, concrete and steel that was used to build most of the mill.
Eichler and his firefighters returned, but the second time they summoned help from departments in Berlin, Shelburne, Randolph, Jefferson and Milan. The second part of the effort took about 3½ hours, and firefighters cleared the scene at about 8 a.m. Monday, Eichler said Tuesday, adding that an exact cause of the fire had not been determined.
The property near the Gorham-Berlin line has played a long and prominent role in the area. It was originally the site of a sawmill in the mid-19th century, and was home for more than a century to Brown Company paper products.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads