Home » News » Public Safety
Gorham firefighters called to paper mill fire twice Monday
There were no injuries and Gorham Paper and Tissue lost little production Monday after work was interrupted for a time during one of its two 12-hour daily shifts, according to Gorham Fire Chief Rick Eichler.
The chief said after firefighters cleared the scene at about 3:40 a.m., they were called out again when fire erupted in the connector building made of plywood and dimension lumber, rather than the brick, concrete and steel that was used to build most of the mill.
Eichler and his firefighters returned, but the second time they summoned help from departments in Berlin, Shelburne, Randolph, Jefferson and Milan. The second part of the effort took about 3½ hours, and firefighters cleared the scene at about 8 a.m. Monday, Eichler said Tuesday, adding that an exact cause of the fire had not been determined.
The property near the Gorham-Berlin line has played a long and prominent role in the area. It was originally the site of a sawmill in the mid-19th century, and was home for more than a century to Brown Company paper products.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem