Home » News » Public Safety
No one injured as state fireworks safety demo comes to quick end after explosive mishap
The incident happened when State Fire Marshal William Degnan was showing members of the media the power of reloadable shells, which are designed to shoot a canister into the air that explodes into a shower of light.
Watermelons about the size of a volleyball were placed on top of fireworks about 75 feet away from where reporters stood with Degnan and other fire officials who were part of the safety news conference. The first demonstration went as expected, blowing the watermelon to bits, but the second went awry.
The propulsive blast of the shell destroyed the second watermelon as expected, but the decorative burst took an unexpected turn when several fireballs shot toward the onlookers. One glowing pink ember went almost straight to where Degnan stood behind a table covered with unused fireworks, many of them banned because they are considered too dangerous for the public to use.
Fire Marshal Investigator Chris Wyman ended the demonstration right then.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Report due soon on alleged abuse at neuro-rehab centers - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 0
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 0
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
- Grant program to help Granite State students with loans - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers
After the election is over, the signs remain