Tornado warnings topped off a stormy day in Granite State
"The instability was causing storms to pop up and quickly die out. It's the same pattern that we've been having for the past week," said Alyssa Hammond, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Taunton, Mass.
The tornado threat surprised many people who were expecting only bouts of heavy rain. But as the thunderstorms formed, Hammond said they began to show rotation on radar.
The heaviest rain was concentrated on the southern part of the state, said James Brown, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine. The National Weather Service posted watches through this morning with 1 to 3 inches of rain expected to cause street flooding, washouts and rapid rises in some streams and rivers.
Despite all the rain in recent days, the Fourth of July looks glorious weather-wise.
New Hampshire has just experienced the 10th wettest June on record. June's recorded rainfall was 6.78 inches.
Union Leader Correspondent Dan Seufert contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 1
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 12
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Strategery: A war by any other name
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out