Tornado warnings topped off a stormy day in Granite State
"The instability was causing storms to pop up and quickly die out. It's the same pattern that we've been having for the past week," said Alyssa Hammond, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Taunton, Mass.
The tornado threat surprised many people who were expecting only bouts of heavy rain. But as the thunderstorms formed, Hammond said they began to show rotation on radar.
The heaviest rain was concentrated on the southern part of the state, said James Brown, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine. The National Weather Service posted watches through this morning with 1 to 3 inches of rain expected to cause street flooding, washouts and rapid rises in some streams and rivers.
Despite all the rain in recent days, the Fourth of July looks glorious weather-wise.
New Hampshire has just experienced the 10th wettest June on record. June's recorded rainfall was 6.78 inches.
Union Leader Correspondent Dan Seufert contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'