Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Help wanted: Sox closer
Koji Uehara on Sunday became the latest victim of the 2013 Closer Curse, joining Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey and even Junichi Tazawa. Uehara allowed a game-tying homer to Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista in a game the resilient Red Sox nonetheless won, 5-4.
It seems like we've been referring to the middle relievers as overworked since the second week of April, and that adjective can only be applied so many times before it yields to "injured."
"That's why Andrew Bailey, getting him back on track, is one of our main goals right now," Farrell said. "It would give our bullpen a huge lift and this team a huge lift."
The front office is exploring both internal and external options to address the ninth, though they'd love to see either Bailey or Uehara solidify the job. The concern with the latter isn't performance but durability, and he admitted Sunday to still feeling tired after his fourth appearance in five days.
The reality is that rarely happens.
"Hopefully you're clicking in the last month of the season," Nieves said. "Usually there are bumps and bruises. It happens to every staff. You never have a perfect five starters all season, and you never have seven guys all season in the bullpen. I don't think there's ever been a team like that. It's expected. We have Plan B and Plan C at all times."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester, Derry road races draw more than 3,600 trotters - 0
- Holiday road, trail races aplenty across NH - 0
- Wobble 'n' Gobble run set for Thanksgiving in Franconia - 0
- Wolfeboro Turkey Trot aids Lions Club, food pantries - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Communities reap economic benefits from road races - 0
- Road issues bring future Hampton marathons into question - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Time has come for NH road racing Hall of Fame - 0
- Andy Schachat's On The Run: How big are NH races going to get? - 0
- She runs as repayment - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 6
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 2
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
2 dead in I-89 collision in Lebanon
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans