Home » News » Public Safety
Calls along the Merrimack River keep fire crews hopping July 4th
"A big wave came over the kayak and I was floating from then on," said Forand, one of four Manchester kayakers maneuvering the Merrimack River from Manchester to Merrimack.
Manchester fire crews were busy with water-related calls.
They used chains to help secure a dock — with about a half-dozen boats attached — that was breaking away from shore at 17 Riverfront Drive.
While crews were there, they saw a wakeboarder having trouble in the Merrimack and were yelling that a dam was up ahead. The boat the wakeboarder was with had to get in front of the troubled wakeboarder, pulling him into the boat underneath the Amoskeag bridge near a safety cable strung across the river, south of the bridge, Michael said.
"It was a close call," he said, noting the wakeboarder could have been killed if not rescued in time.
Michael said the current in the Merrimack is about 33 percent "above normal in strength."
"I just flipped," he said. "We're all good swimmers."
Normand Forand's nephew, Chris Forand, said, "I was embarrassed" the fire department was called out.
"We have to get to our cars," Albright said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name