Epping woman suspects a bear stole her purse
Several bear sightings have been reported in town in recent weeks, including in the area of the 699 blueberry bushes at her farm on Blake Road.
She was so convinced, that she reported her suspicion to police this week.
A bear has been spotted wandering around her property and even ripped down one of her bird feeders and another feeder at a neighbor’s house.
While there have been numerous sightings, police Capt. Jason Newman said there have been no incidents.
Parke’s purse vanished after she arrived home around 8 p.m. Sunday and set it down on the steps while opening her door.
Parke discovered her purse missing Monday and began to suspect a bear. Her house sits off the road and she doesn’t believe anyone would have seen the purse sitting there.
“It’s just puzzling,” she said.
Mark Ellingwood, chief of the state Fish and Game’s Wildlife Division, said a bear carrying off a purse wouldn’t be a common behavior, but then again, bears are known to haul away bird feeders and other things with scents that attract them.
“It would be an extraordinarily uncommon event, but that said, who knows?,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis officials seek to protect conservation lands from pipeline project - 0
- Funding for Berlin wind farm up for council hearing Wednesday - 1
- City landfill could host state’s largest solar farm - 5
- Plans for Manchester solar array project move forward - 0
- Utilities offer tips to help fight high winter energy costs - 0
- Bracing for the heating season throughout New Hampshire - 1
- Firewood scarcity driven by demand throughout NH - 2
- Hopkinton wood program is neighbor to neighbor - 0
- Fire marshal OKs Groton Wind operations after deeming facility safe - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 0
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 1
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 1
School's out for voters