Home » News » Public Safety
Weare gets outside help to get new chief
According to Thomas Clow, board chairman, the town has signed an agreement with Municipal Resources Inc. (MRI) to help search for a new chief to replace Chief Gregory Begin, who retired at the end of May.
Art Walker, former Keene Police Department chief, is serving as police administrator.
“After that, they’ll bring to the board three to six candidates,” said Clow.
“We want to make sure we have the right person for the job,” said Clow.
Weare has had a run of controversial police chiefs including Begin, who has left the town with two federal lawsuits for alleged civil rights violations as well as a pending lawsuit by former employee Sgt. Louis Chatel.
Begin was the first chief elected to the position and won reelection twice, but in March, voters changed the role of chief back to an appointed position, giving selectmen control over hiring.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
- Fire destroys Hanover home - 0
- Chester teen suffers serious injuries in dirt bike accident - 0
- AG continues investigation in search for missing Abby Hernandez - 0
- Pair sent to Massachusetts hospital for serious burns following grease fire in Milton home - 0
- Boy, 14, injured in 20-foot fall in Allenstown - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Vote: ‘No nit’ policy relaxed for Manchester schools - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat Hopefully, this too shall pass - 0
- Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others - 1
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- NH doctors: There's more to Medicare list than meets the eye - 0
- Belmont students consider dropping 'offensive' mascot - 0
- Police: Boscawen chase involved homeless man at wheel - 0
- Plaistow man in toddler abuse case indicted in jail assault - 0
Facebook leads to career in social media
License revocations for DWI announced
Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers
Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted