Home » News » Public Safety
Weare gets outside help to get new chief
According to Thomas Clow, board chairman, the town has signed an agreement with Municipal Resources Inc. (MRI) to help search for a new chief to replace Chief Gregory Begin, who retired at the end of May.
Art Walker, former Keene Police Department chief, is serving as police administrator.
“After that, they’ll bring to the board three to six candidates,” said Clow.
“We want to make sure we have the right person for the job,” said Clow.
Weare has had a run of controversial police chiefs including Begin, who has left the town with two federal lawsuits for alleged civil rights violations as well as a pending lawsuit by former employee Sgt. Louis Chatel.
Begin was the first chief elected to the position and won reelection twice, but in March, voters changed the role of chief back to an appointed position, giving selectmen control over hiring.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH hires former Attorney General Delaney to investigate reporting delays on athletic improprieties - 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 5
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal