Home » News » Public Safety
Concord man identified as drowning victim pulled from Merrimack River by divers
Lacroix was fishing on the Merrimack River in Concord near Sewall's Falls when witnesses told authorities that Lacroix spotted a plastic bag floating down the river, according to Fish and Game.
Lacorix began wading into the river to retrieve the bag and when he was about 60 feet from shore, he came across a three-foot drop off in the river. He was unable to get back to shore and went below the surface of the water and didn’t resurface.
At about 2:05 p.m., the Concord fire and police departments, Marine Patrol and Fish and Game were notified. Concord Fire and Marine Patrol personnel conducted shoreline searches of the immediate area, but were unable to locate Lacroix. Fish and Game dive team members began diving in the area at 5:25 and were able to locate Lacroix’s body at 5:39 p.m. in the area witnesses saw him go below the surface of the water.
Fish and Game said with the recent heavy rainfall, the rivers are running much higher and faster than they normally are this time of the year. Anyone recreating on the water should use extra caution and wear a personal flotation device, authorities said.
Divers recover man's body from Merrimack River in Concord
New Hampshire Fish and Game divers found the body less than 75 feet from shore near the Sewalls Falls Recreation Area between 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m., Concord Fire Lt. Brian Saltmarsh said.
Firefighters received a report of a man struggling in the water about 2 p.m., he said.
The recreation area is about a quarter-mile south of the Sewalls Falls Dam and is popular with boaters, fishermen and swimmers.
"My understanding is he had been fishing from shore, (but) the exact circumstances of why he was in the water, I don't have that information," Saltmarsh said.
The man has been identified and his family notified. His name was not immediately available.
"The water level is extremely high right now, which has created some significant currents," Saltmarsh said.
Concord firefighters, New Hampshire Fish and Game and New Hampshire Marine Patrol joined in the search.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 1
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test