Marine Patrol warns of deadly currents as second drowning victim recovered from Merrimack River
Water is running high, with powerful currents often hidden below a calm surface. At the same time, a heat wave is luring people to the water to cool off. It's a deadly combination.
Two drowning incidents have been reported in as many days along the Merrimack River. The body of Gary Lacroix, 59, was recovered Friday in Concord after he apparently slipped into the river's fast-moving waters while retrieving some debris. Early Sunday, the body of an unidentified young man was recovered from the Merrimack in Boscawen after he drowned while swimming late Saturday afternoon.
Also, late Saturday an unidentified Manchester teen was pulled unconscious from Country Pond in Newton. He was taken to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, Mass. His condition has not been released.
The Marine Patrol suggests people seek relief from the heat at lakes, ponds or parks with a designated swimming areas and an on-duty lifeguard.
The Marine Patrol is urging anyone paddling a kayak or canoe to wear a life jacket or other personal floatation device. Life jackets also should be worn when tubing.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton contract defeat leads to talk of new school in Hooksett - 0
- Telling Your Family Story returns to Loeb School - 0
- Salem Public Works employee says she was harassed - 0
- Saul O Sidore Lecture Series at PSU presents Thomas F. Lee 'The Promises and Perils of the New Biology' - 0
- 'Shrek' to be Prescott Park Arts Festival's 2014 Summer Musical - 0
- Win tickets to see Billy Idol - 0
- Win tickets to see Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience - 0
- Elton John's greatest hits on the big screen - 0
- Show revives '80s with colorful fashions, signature pop, metal, rock - 0
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Win tickets to see Craig Ferguson
Win tickets to see Bruno Mars!
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
In loving defense of the humble, comfy clog
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run