Tough luck for Locke in Monday Pirates loss
Unfortunately for Locke and the Pirates, A’s right-hander Bartolo Colon is an All-Star, too.
The loss snapped Locke’s eight-game winning streak, the best stretch by a Pirates lefty since Emil Yde won nine in a row in 1925. It also ended the Conway, N.H., native’s run of 16 straight starts without a loss, a franchise record.
On Saturday, Locke, 25, became a first-time All-Star when he was selected by National League manager Bruce Bochy. Colon, 40, is on the American League roster for the third time in his 16-year career.
Lowrie went to third base on a wild pitch. The throw from catcher Russell Martin was there in plenty of time, but Pedro Alvarez missed with a swipe tag. Lowrie scored on Josh Donaldson’s sacrifice fly to center field.
The crowd of 23,743, not realizing Alvarez whiffed on the tag, booed third base umpire Scott Barry as Lowrie ran to the plate.
Lowrie and Donaldson began the inning with back-to-back singles. Consecutive two-out walks to Chris Young and Derek Norris forced in a run.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Input sought on Keene board of ed candidates - 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 3
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 2
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options