Home » Sports » Motor Sports
George Diaz: Morgan Shepherd's run at NASCAR history deserves an asterisk
NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Morgan Shepherd (89) heads to the garage during the Ford 300 at Homestead Miami Speedway in 2011. (Kevin Liles-USA TODAY Sports)
It would be neat to see an old guy who is 71 years old rolling with stars of the sport such as Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Tony Stewart, but that's not going to happen. Shepherd very likely will only make a cameo and last less than 50 laps.
So let's call this for what it is: A competitive sideshow.
NASCAR has always had a quirky affinity with lower-tier drivers running inferior equipment with underfunded teams. They are the "start-and-park" guys who show up at an event, qualify (if necessary) and then run a few laps before dropping out. They can still pick up a decent paycheck, the only point of an otherwise pointless endeavor.
For the longest time, he has survived on hand-me-downs from compassionate competitors in the garage and $20 donations from devoted fans.
Shepherd has no shot to win this weekend, no matter how he will be viewed in the annals of NASCAR history.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Input sought on Keene board of ed candidates - 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Fourth-graders ‘experience’ Ellis Island
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Copper stolen from old Salem school
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list