action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Andre S. Watson

Andre S. Watson

Aug 14, 2014

Jose Alberto Miranda

Jose Alberto Miranda

Jul 24, 2014

Juan Sanchez-Rodriguez

Juan Sanchez-Rodriguez

Jul 16, 2014

Home » News » Crime

July 10. 2013 8:21PM

Judge refuses to accept guilty plea in Manchester assault case

MANCHESTER — Circuit Court-Manchester District Division Judge Gregory Michael Wednesday refused to accept a guilty plea from a homeless 19-year-old charged with simple assault, possession of a controlled drug and resisting arrest, all in connection with an incident at a Belmont Street address.

Gedeon Karasi, 19, was arrested after the owner of the Belmont Street building called police to say his tenants had complained about someone sneaking into the building at night and defecating in the hall.

Court documents show that police officers reported Karasi initially provided a false name. A check of his real name showed an electronic bench warrant for his failure to appear in Circuit Court June 27 on a marijuana possession charge from Feb. 22 at Manchester High School Central.

Officer Kevin Gelinas reported Karasi struggled with him and another officer seeking to handcuff Karasi, pushed the officers, continued struggling after being warned he would be tased, and, after trying to break free and flee, was first tased (with the darts not contacting skin), then drive stunned, with the charge applied directly to the neck. Court documents show Gelinas reported that a cell phone, change and a baggie containing 4.4 grams of marijuana fell from Karasi’s clothing during the attempt to handcuff Karasi.

The two officers reported they sustained abrasions, redness and bleeding as a result of the struggle, but said Karasi appeared unhurt.

Karasi told the judge he wanted to plead guilty, but Michael refused to accept the pleas. He said because the new drug charge would be a second offense, and could result in jail time, Karasi should speak with an attorney before entering a guilty plea.

Bail was set at $5,000 cash/surety, with conditions barring contact with the owner of the Belmont Street building and from the building. Trial was set for Aug. 13.

Has alternate explanation

Jon Orme, 25, pleaded innocent Wednesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to charges of simple assault, criminal mischief, resisting arrest and violation of a domestic violence protective order. Trial was set for Aug. 13.

Orme is accused of hitting a woman in the head several times and of hitting a mirror that fell and broke July 2 in an apartment at 151 Ray St.

Court documents show the woman told police Orme hit her because he said she was taking too long in the bathroom. He claimed she has mental health issues and he was trying to shift her focus.

The woman obtained a domestic violence protective order, barring Orme from the residence and from being within 100 yards of the woman and he was served.

She told police Orme was in the residence Tuesday, in violation of the order. Court documents show police reported Orme could be seen in the residence, but refused to respond to requests to open the door. Another key was obtained, access was gained and Orme was arrested.

Bail was set at $5,000 cash/surety, with conditions that mirror those of the protective order. Trial was set for Aug. 13.

Offers excuse for missing court

Patricia Lanier, 44, who lists the homeless shelter as her address, told Circuit Court-Manchester District Division Judge Gregory Michael on Wednesday that she missed her scheduled May 13 court date on a simple assault charge because she had a broken wrist.

Lanier said she told her public defender and thought that was enough. Lanier’s initial $1,000 personal recognizance bail had been changed to cash/surety on the electronic bench warrant issued following her failure to appear in court.

Michael changed the bail back to personal recognizance, cautioning Lanier that telling a lawyer isn’t sufficient, and that she needs to contact the court directly. Trial was set for Aug. 13.

Lanier also faces charges in Hillsborough County Superior Court North. She was indicted by the May Hillsborough County North Grand Jury for second-degree assault of a man in 2011 and by the March grand jury for aggravated felonious sexual assault of a young teen boy in 2012.

Friends were being arrested

Police prosecutor Lt. Peter Favreau Wednesday sought $500 cash/surety bail for a Concord woman being arraigned on a disorderly conduct charge in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division. Favreau also requested a bail condition requiring the woman complete the booking process at the Manchester Police Department before being released.

Favreau told Judge Gregory Michael that Kristina Figueroa, 30, of 50 Longmeadow Drive, was arrested outside Social 24, at 24 Depot St., about 1 a.m. Wednesday after she tried to intervene when several of her friends were being arrested.

Police said Figueroa got out of a vehicle twice and approached, shouting obscenities, as her friends were being escorted to a transport vehicle. Police said when she refused to stop, she was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Michael set bail for Figueroa at $1,000 personal recognizance, with trial set for Aug. 13.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
  • Yes
  • 83%
  • No
  • 17%
  • Total Votes: 917

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events