Solar air heating system at UNH lauded for efficiency, cost-savings
Kingsbury Hall's south wing houses a number of laboratories with significant ventilation needs.
"Essentially we had all the right things we needed for a good test application," he said.
A Canadian-made system called the Lubi solar air system was applied over the existing roof wall, creating about 2,400-square feet of perforated plastic panels backed by a dark solar absorber, with a gap in between. During the heating season, the system is turned on and heated air collects in the pocket, and is sucked in through new duct work to the existing ventilation system.
This past fall, the university installed an air sampling system to constantly monitor air quality throughout Kingsbury, allowing them to significantly reduce ventilation demands.
The installation was not complete by the end of the last heating season, so testing will begin this winter to see how effective the system actually is.
O'Keefe said the technology has been around for decades, but is not widely used, and he is not sure why. He said it is really a "no-brainer" based on payback, efficiency, ease of installation, and low maintenance.
More information about the technology is available at shiftnrg.com.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Sidewalk to nowhere - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Old injury a pain for would-be firefighter - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Prescription for trouble at Hillsborough County jail - 2
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Missing easement opens protected Manchester area to development - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Clinic neighbor worries about expanding buffer zone - 11
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Coco leaves a void in the undercover force - 16
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: They fight to free pond for Manchester skaters - 1
- City Matters: Another storm, another chance to do your part for your city to do the right thing - 2
- City Matters: Manchester man wants apology from police - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire destroys Weare home - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires across state - 0
- Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house - 0
- Fugitive nabbed as he checks out the weather - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 1
- Fetal homicide bill stopped in the Senate - 0
- Democrats worry about 'dirty tricks' - 0
- Truck pulls down power line, starts paint store blaze - 0
- No change in bail for Dover teen facing felony arson charge - 1
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’