Solar air heating system at UNH lauded for efficiency, cost-savings
Kingsbury Hall's south wing houses a number of laboratories with significant ventilation needs.
"Essentially we had all the right things we needed for a good test application," he said.
A Canadian-made system called the Lubi solar air system was applied over the existing roof wall, creating about 2,400-square feet of perforated plastic panels backed by a dark solar absorber, with a gap in between. During the heating season, the system is turned on and heated air collects in the pocket, and is sucked in through new duct work to the existing ventilation system.
This past fall, the university installed an air sampling system to constantly monitor air quality throughout Kingsbury, allowing them to significantly reduce ventilation demands.
The installation was not complete by the end of the last heating season, so testing will begin this winter to see how effective the system actually is.
O'Keefe said the technology has been around for decades, but is not widely used, and he is not sure why. He said it is really a "no-brainer" based on payback, efficiency, ease of installation, and low maintenance.
More information about the technology is available at shiftnrg.com.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads