Home » Sports » Sports Columns
Vin Sylvia: Boston's teams in transition
I REALLY don't care what Tyler Seguin does as a Star. Regardless of what he achieves in Dallas, it wasn't going to happen in Boston. If Seguin does fill his potential, it will because the trade that sent him to the Lone Star State hastened the maturity that's been sorely lacking in the former first-round draft pick and because he found himself in a system that better suited his game.
AS IF Will Middlebrooks didn't have enough troubles already this season, now he has to try hitting while looking over both shoulders. To his left in the infield at Triple-A Pawtucket is the Red Sox' top prospect, Xander Bogaerts, currently playing short for the PawSox but projected by many to be a major-league third baseman, especially with Jose Iglesias looking more and more like a long-term fixture at short in Boston. Coming up rapidly from behind is Garin Cecchini, who's batting .414 with a 1.107 OPS in 16 games with Double-A Portland after hitting .350/1.016 in 63 games with Single-A Salem.Bogaerts, who started the year with Portland, and Middlebrooks, who opened the season with Boston, have comparable numbers at Pawtucket: Bogaerts a .269 average with five home runs and a .795 OPS in 26 games; Middlebrooks a .270 average with six home runs and an .860 OPS in 19 games.
So, if the Sox find themselves in trade talks with an option to give up Bogaerts, Cecchini or Middlebrooks in the deal, you know who's going: the guy who was the team rookie of the year in 2012.
HERE'S MY concern about the 2013-14 Celtics: They're not going to be that bad and might even be pretty good — not championship-contender good, but good enough to make the playoffs.
And that would be bad.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Hot stove plus hockey equals cool doubleheader - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Much-loved Lemire was dedicated to city's kids - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: High school hoops preseason jamboree finally a reality - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Monarchs' Morris salutes fans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Stunning ending authored by Brady. - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: A couple of Pioneers are on the move - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Memorial principal explains football time changes - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Joe Sullivan stories recall a great storyteller - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: City champ eyes state title - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released