Lamprey River Elementary addition not in mix for 2014
Board members spent nearly two hours discussing whether to go ahead with a reduced project that would have added classrooms to replace the portable units that house about 10 classrooms.
They paid Bonnette, Page and Stone of Laconia about $25,000 to develop a conceptual design for renovating and adding onto the school, before learning a town ordinance regarding the Lamprey River floodplain would make any project there difficult, if not impossible.
And then the state Legislature voted in a new biennial budget last month that does not include any funding for school building aid, leading the committee to scale back plans to only address the classroom needs of the school in the hope that local taxpayers would agree to pay the bill.
Board members voted down a motion to move forward with the bond by a vote of 2-2-1, with Stephen Reardon abstaining.
“What is challenging me and I think some of the other board members is we just don’t feel we have the necessary information to vote up or down on a bond tonight,” Reardon said.
It is unclear what happens now.
Building committee chairman Alec O’Meara said if the board is no longer interested in a long-term solution, then the committee’s charge is no longer valid.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief