Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Carpenter set for rehab start
After throwing 56 pitches to three Cardinals batters Wednesday and generally impressing everyone who saw him - including his toughest critic, himself - the New Hampshire native and Trinity High of Manchester, N.H., graduate will begin what could be as long as a 30-day medical rehabilitation option when he starts for the Cardinals' Class AA club in a Texas League game against Arkansas.
Matheny said Carpenter would be targeted to throw 60-some pitches in his first taste of competition since he lasted just four innings in Game 6 at San Francisco of the National League Championship Series last year.
Robinson, who had faced the right-hander once before this season in an aborted comeback bid, said Carpenter was "very impressive. After my first two at-bats, I had to turn it up a notch. If I'm in a game and I'm facing him three times, he probably would have won the battle today. He's just fine-tuning his stuff right now. When he's done, it's going to be fun to watch.
"There's definitely some excitement about starting the process to get back," said Carpenter, who also has been waylaid a couple of times this year by lower back issues.
Carpenter said. "I've got to prove I can stay healthy and prove I'm good enough to take one of these guys' spots (in the rotation) because what I've done in the past doesn't mean I get an opportunity to kick someone out of here when we're doing so well."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 0
- Fire scene closes Goffstown's Paige Hill Road - 0
- Gas tax increase would be tied to consumer price index - 4
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 5
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 2
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans