Martel, Rivard advance to State Am final
Rivard, who plays out of Candia Woods, moved on by beating Portsmouth Country Club’s Craig Steckowych 2 and 1 in the semifinals. Steckowych won this event in 1990 and 1998.
Rivard, 34, is a Manchester Memorial graduate who played college golf at Southern New Hampshire University. He played professional golf for six years, but regained his amateur status last year. He defeated Manchester Country Club’s Ryan Toombs 3 and 2 in Friday morning’s quarterfinals.
Rivard said he loves playing at The Golf Club of New England. “It fits my game because I hit it far — and I’ve been hitting it straight,” he said. “The advantage of length in match play is you’re always hitting it second into the green. You get a chance to see what your opponent does and you can react off of what they’re doing.”
It was an impressive day for Martel, who beat Brett Wilson 2 and 1 on Wilson’s home course Friday morning. Wilson, a Dover resident, won this year’s Seacoast Amateur. He was 3-up on Martel after three holes.
This is the second time Rivard has advanced to the State Am finals. He lost to Concord Country Club’s Bob Mielcarz in the 2000 championship at Bretwood Golf Course in Keene.
State Am Results
Chris Rivard (Candia Woods) def. Ryan Tombs (Manchester CC) 3 and 2; Craig Steckoych (Portsmouth CC) def. Chase Dembisky (Souhegan Woods) 1-up; Mike Martel (Crotched Mountain) def. Brett Wilson (Golf Club of New England) 2 and 1; Joe Leavitt (Atkinson CC) def. Mike Mahan (The Oaks) 5 and 4.
Martel def. Leavitt 6 and 5; Rivard def. Steckowych 2 and 1.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 3
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 11
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released