Rob Burbank's Outdoors with the AMC: NH nongame wildlife program marks quarter-century
The program provides management support for species not fished, hunted or trapped, and it is credited with restoring dwindling populations of such species as New Hampshire's State Butterfly, the Karner Blue, in Concord, and sea birds inhabiting the Isles of Shoals.
The program has also engaged volunteers in monitoring dragonfly distribution and reptile and amphibian populations across the state. Findings, in particular rare species verification, are added to a long-term database. That information is used to help inform land management decisions.
"In the mid-1980s, a crisis was emerging for New Hampshire's threatened and endangered birds, mammals and fish. Wildlife habitat was exposed to enormous pressure from development and recreational activities. Populations were dwindling. Species were disappearing," explained John Kanter, program coordinator, in a news release.
Speaking of anniversaries, the Appalachian Mountain Club is celebrating the 125th anniversary of its White Mountains hut system this year. Fashioned after the alpine huts of Europe, these trailside hostelries offer mountain hospitality, meals, lodging and educational programs in spectacular mountain settings.
The easternmost AMC hut, Carter Notch Hut, was recently recognized in the Best Adventure category of New Hampshire Magazine's Best of NH awards.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett officials move to correct election error - 0
- Big deal in Goffstown over 'Stuart Little' - 0
- Hess seeks OK for store, gas station in Bedford - 0
- Salem students transform into historical characters - 0
- Renovation work continues at Salem elementary schools - 0
- AMC ready for start of 2014 season in NH's outdoors - 0
- There's fun to be had in cleaning up after a tough winter - 0
- NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014 - 0
- Route 101 improvements are on track in Bedford - 0
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Win tickets to see Cheap Trick
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers