Deerfly remedies help keep pesky NH insects from biting
It may not be fashionable, but a blue plastic cup covered with Tanglefoot and attached to a ball cap can attract and trap deerflies. (NANCY BEAN FOSTER PHOTO)
The many varieties of deerfly found in New Hampshire are a mid-summer pest that are hard to avoid. (COURTESY)
Aside from staying indoors, people can avoid bites from the flies by covering up and wearing long sleeves and pants, denying the bugs a place to eat. But on sweltering days it can be a toss-up as to whether melting or getting eaten is worse.
Twenty years ago, Dale Stieg, a Christmas tree farmer in Michigan, said the deerflies became too much for him to bear while out tending his trees so he started observing their behavior and thinking of a way to get back at them. He invented a double-stick deerfly patch that adheres to the back of a baseball cap.
After a day outdoors, the patch, and its collection of dead flies, can be peeled off and discarded.
For those who aren't slaves to fashion, there's a home-made deerfly trap that works on the same principle as the patches, but includes a ball cap, a blue plastic cup, a pair of safety pins or paper clips and a tub of sticky stuff called Tanglefoot.
"I've never found anything that works better," Witty said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett officials move to correct election error - 0
- Big deal in Goffstown over 'Stuart Little' - 0
- Hess seeks OK for store, gas station in Bedford - 0
- Salem students transform into historical characters - 0
- Renovation work continues at Salem elementary schools - 0
- AMC ready for start of 2014 season in NH's outdoors - 0
- Susan Dromey Heeter's Down to Earth: There's fun to be had in cleaning up after a tough winter - 0
- NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014 - 0
- Route 101 improvements are on track in Bedford - 0
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Big deal in Goffstown over 'Stuart Little'
Shamrock count winners
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers