Nashua's Horse Pond Fishing Derby hooks young anglers
Maggie Nelson, 7, of Nashua, gets some help from her mom unhooking her first catch of the day at the fishing derby in Nashua. (BARBARA TAORMINA PHOTO)
The annual derby for 5- to 12-year-olds — sponsored by the Horse Pond Fish & Game Club, with some help from the U.S. Fish Hatchery, Nashua Recreation Dept. and the Nashua Police Athletic Association — draws families from in and around Nashua and gives kids a chance to experience one of the favorite activities of New Hampshire sportsmen.
Although the catch-and-release derby has been growing each year, Smith credits Saturday's break in the stifling heat for bringing out a record 104 participants. Even Nashua Mayor Donnalee Lozeau stopped by to chat with the crowd of kids and parents.
"I like fishing because it's relaxing," said Hall-Lavoie, who added that last year she caught some sun fish and, possibly, a bass.
And everyone who fished during the two-hour contest also received a certificate and an invitation to a post-derby cookout.
"Kids love the fact that they're outdoors and they love bringing up their fish and having them weighed," said Smith, who added that for a lot of the kids it's also a learning experience about the types of different fish.
"I like that the derby shows that not all kids want to stay home and play video games all the time," said Smith.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fundraiser to help Lyndeborough assault victim - 0
- Derry to NASA: 'We've got a marketing problem' - 2
- Invasive beetle found near NH, Mass. border - 0
- Mural dream becomes an artistic reality in Nashua - 0
- Loeb School offers Social Media for Business July 18th - 0
- Prescott Park brings more than roots with The Lone Bellow - 0
- Mary Chapin Carpenter returns to Prescott Park - 0
- Time for Hunter Education! Last call for bowhunter-only program - 0
- Rock N Roll Women Take the Monkey Stage - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Invasive beetle found near NH, Mass. border
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone