Nashua's Horse Pond Fishing Derby hooks young anglers
The annual derby for 5- to 12-year-olds — sponsored by the Horse Pond Fish & Game Club, with some help from the U.S. Fish Hatchery, Nashua Recreation Dept. and the Nashua Police Athletic Association — draws families from in and around Nashua and gives kids a chance to experience one of the favorite activities of New Hampshire sportsmen.
Although the catch-and-release derby has been growing each year, Smith credits Saturday's break in the stifling heat for bringing out a record 104 participants. Even Nashua Mayor Donnalee Lozeau stopped by to chat with the crowd of kids and parents.
"I like fishing because it's relaxing," said Hall-Lavoie, who added that last year she caught some sun fish and, possibly, a bass.
And everyone who fished during the two-hour contest also received a certificate and an invitation to a post-derby cookout.
"Kids love the fact that they're outdoors and they love bringing up their fish and having them weighed," said Smith, who added that for a lot of the kids it's also a learning experience about the types of different fish.
"I like that the derby shows that not all kids want to stay home and play video games all the time," said Smith.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Loeb School Offers Spring Classes - 0
- Calling All Turkey Watchers – Winter Survey Ends March 31 - 0
- Hooksett school bus to Pinkerton: Prepare for 6 a.m. pickup - 0
- Slopeside with Kathleen Baglio Humphreys: Ski area groomers work all night to make the trails their best - 0
- Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown - 0
- Mont Vernon man survives latest 'American Idol' cut - 0
- Superintendent named for SAU 19 - 0
- Air Refueling Wing members rally to help comrade's family - 0
- Snodeo offers a peek at latest snowmobile models - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Slopeside with Kathleen Baglio Humphreys: Ski area groomers work all night to make the trails their best
Win tickets to see Brit Floyd
Win tickets to see Bruno Mars!
Superintendent named for SAU 19
Win tickets to see Cirque du Soleil: Varekai
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council