Nashua's Horse Pond Fishing Derby hooks young anglers
Maggie Nelson, 7, of Nashua, gets some help from her mom unhooking her first catch of the day at the fishing derby in Nashua. (BARBARA TAORMINA PHOTO)
The annual derby for 5- to 12-year-olds — sponsored by the Horse Pond Fish & Game Club, with some help from the U.S. Fish Hatchery, Nashua Recreation Dept. and the Nashua Police Athletic Association — draws families from in and around Nashua and gives kids a chance to experience one of the favorite activities of New Hampshire sportsmen.
Although the catch-and-release derby has been growing each year, Smith credits Saturday's break in the stifling heat for bringing out a record 104 participants. Even Nashua Mayor Donnalee Lozeau stopped by to chat with the crowd of kids and parents.
"I like fishing because it's relaxing," said Hall-Lavoie, who added that last year she caught some sun fish and, possibly, a bass.
And everyone who fished during the two-hour contest also received a certificate and an invitation to a post-derby cookout.
"Kids love the fact that they're outdoors and they love bringing up their fish and having them weighed," said Smith, who added that for a lot of the kids it's also a learning experience about the types of different fish.
"I like that the derby shows that not all kids want to stay home and play video games all the time," said Smith.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nature Talks: Taking a closer look at the red-bellied woodpecker - 0
- Pinkerton Academy students learn audio production from a pro - 0
- 'Interview' buzz spreads to NH - 5
- Lyndeborough official would not give up on tree - 0
- A look back at some favorite wines of the year - 0
- These were a few of our favorite things… - 0
- Store-bought snacks? Really? These treats are almost as easy, and much more delicious - 0
- Driver Taryn Laskey is all bark and bite behind wheel - 0
- Lots of chances to laugh on Dec. 31 - 0
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Enter to win tickets to see Pirate School
Enter to win tickets to see Arc Isis