High temperatures, heavy rain create perfect storm for drownings
"It's a little scary so many people passed away around here from the water," Muzzey said.
Muzzey and his friend, Steven Lynch, 21, of Franklin, knew the 20-year-old Penacook resident, Daron Graham, who was swept up by the fast-moving Merrimack current while swimming in Boscawen this month.
Concord recorded nearly 7 inches of rain in June, nearly double the average amount. The rain swelled the state's waterways.
Concord Fire Chief Dan Andrus said people often are distracted by their cellphones and other things. Drownings often occur with those in distress not having time to yell for help.
"A lot of these things change day to day," he said. "If we get a couple of thundershowers that roll through in specific areas of the state, a certain body of water could be fine at one o'clock, but at 3:30 could be very dangerous."
"We tend to see a lot of people underestimate the conditions and overestimate their abilities when it comes to being around the water," he said.
State police Capt. Mark Armaganian said he hoped to get the word out to prevent more drownings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three old beer styles for cold winter nights - 0
- Our Gourmet:: Italian with a twist in Portsmouth - 0
- Goffstown School Board abandons plans to buy, renovate Villa Augustina - 0
- Hooksett police seek drug forfeiture funds to purchase new guns - 0
- Salem impact fee process to go before public hearing - 0
- Salvation Army takes over for Santa in Nashua - 0
- Town and state officials celebrate opening of non-motorized trail system in Warren - 0
- Lurgio students learn about Africa, water scarcity through unique approach - 0
- A Chat with Elsie: Windham principal recognized for excellence - 0
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Enter to win tickets to see Arc Isis
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Good news, of sorts, for jobs in NH