High temperatures, heavy rain create perfect storm for drownings
"It's a little scary so many people passed away around here from the water," Muzzey said.
Muzzey and his friend, Steven Lynch, 21, of Franklin, knew the 20-year-old Penacook resident, Daron Graham, who was swept up by the fast-moving Merrimack current while swimming in Boscawen this month.
Concord recorded nearly 7 inches of rain in June, nearly double the average amount. The rain swelled the state's waterways.
Concord Fire Chief Dan Andrus said people often are distracted by their cellphones and other things. Drownings often occur with those in distress not having time to yell for help.
"A lot of these things change day to day," he said. "If we get a couple of thundershowers that roll through in specific areas of the state, a certain body of water could be fine at one o'clock, but at 3:30 could be very dangerous."
"We tend to see a lot of people underestimate the conditions and overestimate their abilities when it comes to being around the water," he said.
State police Capt. Mark Armaganian said he hoped to get the word out to prevent more drownings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Guitar Maestro Uli John Roth performs in Londonderry in advance of March Release of 'Scorpions Revisited' a Double-Disc Collection of Re-Imagined Scorpions Classics - 0
- Councilor refuses to let blindness thwart his commitment to Bedford - 0
- Announcing the 2015 Country Megaticket at the XFinity Center - 0
- Tri-state Reciprocal Snowmobile Weekend - 0
- Loon Mountain Resort Hosts Groundbreaking Ski & Snowboard Camp Partnerships - 0
- Londonderry blood drive scheduled for Friday - 0
- More information coming on Plaistow commuter rail station Wednesday - 0
- Peterborough's Rosaly Bass named organic gardener of the year - 0
- Salem selectman vows taxpayers won't pay for railroad ties removal - 0
Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk
UNH exhibit aims to convey realities of war
Enter to win tickets to see Cirque Ziva
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
A gun fight: One the GOP should pick
Obamacare ‘surprise: More tax bill headaches
Hearing set for Gorham man facing 200 charges for kidnapping, sexual abuse of Conway teen