Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Would-be witness in Bulger mob trial found dead in woods
The body of Stephen "Stippo" Rakes, 59, of Quincy, Mass., had no obvious signs of trauma, according to the Middlesex district attorney's office, and his death is under investigation. The body was discovered Wednesday afternoon.
Rakes, who was to testify on behalf of the prosecution, claimed that a liquor mart he owned became Bulger's after Bulger and his men threatened to kill him.
But Rakes, who was a "constant presence" at the trial for the last six weeks, learned he wouldn't have his chance to rebut in court, according to the Boston Globe. Steve Davis, the brother of alleged Bulger victim Debra Davis, told the Globe that Rakes was told Tuesday that prosecutors did not plan to call him to testify, and that devastated him.
"He said he wanted to get up there and tell his side of the story," Donahue told the Associated Press.
Prosecutors in the trial expected to wrap up their case next week.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police release photos from alleged hotel robbery - 0
- Nashua driver charged after crashing car 25 minutes after getting 92-mph speeding ticket - 1
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 2
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 28
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 3
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917