Home » News » Public Safety
N.Y. man, 30, dies while hiking in White Mountains
Christopher J. Todd, of Rochester, N.Y., was on a group hike up the trail, which starts in Sandwich. According to officials from the Fish and Game Department, he had hiked about four miles with the group to the summit of Mount Whiteface, then, about 5 p.m., he became unable to continue as they descended. Todd stopped and lost consciousness about a mile from the trailhead. His fellow hikers called 911 for help.
Todd's condition deteriorated, so his companions began cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), according to Fish and Game. They continued CPR until they were relieved by emergency personnel from the Sandwich and Tamworth fire departments, as well as conservation officers.
Emergency treatment continued on the mountain trail. Lifesaving measures were discontinued at 7:09 p.m., when it was determined that the patient had expired. Todd was placed in a litter and transported to the trailhead, reaching there at 8:11 p.m.
Helping during the incident were fire department personnel from Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, and West Ossipee; as well as Stewart's Ambulance Service in Meredith, Carroll County Sheriff's Office Dispatch and the N.H. Department of Safety's Bureau of Emergency Communications.
The cause of death remains unknown, according to officials from Fish and Game.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus